BioCity is a not for profit healthcare and bioscience innovation and business incubator centre providing facilities for scientists and entrepreneurs that are working at the forefront of commercialization of research and development. In addition BioCity also offers conferencing and meeting facilities.
BioCity Nottingham recognises that our day-to-day operations can impact both directly and indirectly on the local, regional and global environment.
We regard environmental regulations, laws and codes of practice as setting the minimum standards of environmental performance. However, we recognise that we have a responsibility to the environment beyond legal and regulatory requirements.
As such we are committed to reducing our environmental impact and continually improving our environmental performance as an integral part of our business strategy and operating methods. We aim to protect and improve the environment through good management and by adopting best practice wherever possible. We will work to integrate environmental considerations into our business decisions and adopt greener alternatives wherever possible, throughout our operations.
All employees are responsible for working towards the objectives contained within this policy and we will also encourage our tenants, customers, suppliers and other stakeholders to do the same.
We will strive to achieve the above objective through the following practices where possible:
Energy and water use
- We will seek to reduce the amount of energy used as much as possible.
- Lights and electrical equipment will be switched off when not in use.
- Heating and other plant and equipment will be adjusted with energy consumption in mind.
- The energy consumption and efficiency of new products will be taken into account when purchasing.
- We will minimise the use of paper in the office.
- We will seek to buy recycled and recyclable paper products.
- We will reuse and recycle all paper where possible.
- We will evaluate if consumable needs can be met in another way.
- We will evaluate the environmental impact of any new products we intend to purchase.
- We will seek to buy more environmentally friendly and efficient products.
- Cleaning materials will be as environmentally friendly as possible.
- The company maintains that a primary part of its corporate environmental strategy is sustainable waste management and as such recognises its responsibilities to recycle materials wherever possible.
- We will actively promote the “reduce, reuse, recycle” model both internally and amongst our tenants, customer, visitors and suppliers
- Refurbish and develop the site in a manner that avoids negative environmental impacts and enhances thelocal environment where possible
- We will work with our suppliers to ensure they recognise and reduce the environmental impact of theirproducts and transportation, where practical.
Travel and transportation
- Deliver a travel plan to: reduce vehicle use to our site ; encourage walking, cycling and the use of public transport as principal modes of commuting and business travel for staff, tenants, customers and visitors
- We will reduce the need to travel, encouraging staff to make necessity trips only. We will promote the use of travel alternatives such as e-mail or video/phone conferencing.
- We will minimize waste, especially hazardous waste, and whenever possible recycle materials.
- We will dispose of all waste through safe and responsible methods, only using licensed and appropriate organisations to dispose of waste.
Communication and monitoring
Culture and training
- We will involve staff in the implementation of this policy, through training programmes to raise awareness ofenvironmental issues and enlist their support in improving our performance.
We will involve staff in the implementation of this policy, for greater commitment and improved performance.
- We will update this policy at least annually in consultation with staff and other stakeholders where necessary.
- We will provide staff with relevant environmental training.We will work with tenants and other customers to improve their understanding of environmental issues andencourage them to make environmental improvements through good management and by adopting bestpractice wherever possible
- We will work with suppliers, contractors and sub-contractors to improve their environmental performance.
- We will use local labour and materials where available to reduce C02 and help the community.
Targets, goals and auditing
- The company will set environmental targets and goals designed to improve our environmental performance.
- We will conduct and regularly review a self-evaluation of our performance in implementing these principlesand in complying with all applicable laws and regulations.
Responsibilities and commitment
Everyone has a responsibility for our environmental performance. In particular, managers are responsible for the areas under their control and must seek to minimise waste, promote recycling, reduce energy consumption and, where possible, to work with suppliers who themselves have sound environmental policies.
As Chief Executive Officer I am ultimately responsible for the efficacy of this environmental policy and will, with Senior Managers, work to ensure that this policy is implemented throughout BioCity Nottingham.
Glenn Crocker, Chief Executive Officer, BioCity Nottingham Ltd
Dated: July 2011