The purpose of this role if to support the Head Chef and ensure on-site café meets its objectives and service standards, through effective and efficient management of duties. This will be achieved by successfully undertaking day to day responsibilities related to food preparation for the on-site café and conferencing facilities and the delivery service excellence for all tenants, visitors and users of BioCity Nottingham site.
Based at: BioCity Nottingham
Reporting to: Head Chef
- High level of accuracy and attention to detail
- Experience working in a customer oriented environment
- Previous experience in cafes, coffee shops and restaurant
- Previous experience with customer service
- Firm knowledge of HACCP
- Experience of cash handling Essential
- Intermediate Food Hygiene Level 2
- Achieving results: Take responsibility for own activities and tasks. Demonstrate a desire to achieve the best possible results. Require low level supervision for day to day tasks. Proactive approach to tasks.
- Planning and organising: Able to plan, organise, prioritise, manage and monitor activities in a logical and consistent manner, using appropriate information systems and tools.
- Problem solving: Identify problems, analyse (taking account of relevant factors) and deliver effective solutions.
- Customer focus: Serve customers, identify and effectively respond to needs of BioCity management. Responding to customer, supplier and other relevant external bodies needs as appropriate, being always professional in the approach made.
- Team working: Able to work reliably and responsibly with internal colleagues and external companies.
- Effective communication: Able to communicate effectively, adapting style, format etc to suit the audience.
Food Preparation Providing support on a daily basis for the Head Chef to provide quality, fresh food for BioCity Nottingham’s tenants, visitors and conference delegates. The activities to do this will include but are not limited to:
- Preparing and presenting food and beverages, quickly and efficiently, for the on-site café and conference rooms, meeting our high standards.
- Following the food specifications laid out by the Head Chef.
- Supporting the Head Chef in carrying out their duties.
- Assisting in keeping the kitchen clean, hygienic and tidy, at all times.
- Monitoring equipment and raising any maintenance issues with the Head Chef.
- Operating kitchen equipment safely, being mindful of the health and safety of both yourself and your colleagues at all times.
- Maintaining personal knowledge by completing in-house training and other courses.
- Maintaining compliance of the kitchen and café area with all relevant food safety regulations.
Delivery of Service
- Drive excellent customer service throughout the on-site café and conference facilities. The activities to do this will include but are not limited to:
- Ensuring all food, drink and associated products are served to the highest standard.
- Making coffees, teas and other hot drinks.
- Maintaining BioCity’s image, making sure all areas of the café are clean and well maintained.
- Being presentable at all times.
- Creating a warm, friendly atmosphere in the café, having a “can do” attitude.
- Feeding back any service or food related complaints to the Head Chef.
- Attending meetings with the Head Chef to appraise performance.
- Cash handling, ensuring the tills balance on a daily basis.
- Making all tenants and customers of BioCity feel valued using your adaptive interpersonal skills.
- Collecting dirty crockery and loading the dishwasher, wiping tables, and ensuring a clean and safe atmosphere in the café and the kitchen.
- Hours of work: 35 hrs per week; Monday to Friday with 30 mins’ unpaid lunch break
- 33 days per annum (including allowance for Public Holidays)
- Stakeholder pension scheme (with contribution from BioCity equal to 3% of salary) after successful completion of probationary period
As the Catering Assistant, you will lead by example and have a positive, flexible attitude, working to the highest levels to ensure that BioCity standards are maintained at all times. From time to time conferencing may need support on events in the evening or at weekends.