Based at: BioCity Nottingham
Reporting to: Operations Manager
This is an exciting opportunity for an experienced Sous Chef or Kitchen Assistant ready to grow into a commercial Head Chef role.
You will manage ‘The Kitchen’ brand, have control over the menu design, concept, food development and suppliers over three locations whilst working social hours (nights and weekends off).
The successful candidate will manage ‘The Kitchen’ a café and conferencing catering brand. This will include leading a team, keeping to the budget, meeting objectives and working commercially with other departments to develop and grow the business.
- Hours of work: 42.5 hrs per week; Monday to Friday with 30 mins’ unpaid lunch break.
- 33 days per annum (including allowance for Public Holidays)
- Stakeholder pension scheme (with contribution from BioCity equal to 3% of salary) after completion of a successful probationary period.
Who we’re looking for:
- High level of accuracy and attention to details
- A flair and enthusiasm for cooking with fresh quality ingredients
- Previous experience demonstrating good management and effective coordination of a kitchen team
- Experience working in a customer oriented environment
- A positive approach to menu planning and development of ‘The Kitchen’ service
- Intermediate food hygiene certificate
- Stock taking experience
- Menu costing experience
- Resulted focused:
Take responsibility for own activities and tasks. Demonstrate a desire to achieve the best possible results. Require low level supervision for day to day tasks. Proactive approach to tasks. Ability to cope under pressure, in a calm and efficient.
Able to plan, organise, prioritise, manage and monitor activities logically and consistently. Whilst using appropriate information systems and tools.
- Finding a work around:
Identify problems, analyse (taking into account relevant factors) and deliver effective solutions.
- Customer focused:
Calm, kind, professional, honest and friendly. Identify and effectively respond to needs of BioCity management’s requirement for financial information. Responding to customer, supplier and other relevant external bodies needs as appropriate, being always professional in the approach made.
- Team Player:
Able to work reliably and responsibly with internal colleagues and external companies.
- Effective communicator:
Able to communicate effectively, adapting style, format etc. to suit the audience.
‘The Kitchen’ Management
Organising ‘The Kitchen’ team members on a daily basis to provide quality, fresh food for BioCity Nottingham companies and conference delegates. These activities will include but are not limited to:
- Preparing, cooking and presenting food and beverages, quickly and efficiently, for The Kitchen and conference rooms, meeting our standards
- Menu planning and development
- Managing opening and closing of The Kitchen
- Working with other BioCity departments to develop, construct and mange menus for large, small and VIP events
- Managing stock, including ordering, wastage control and deliveries
- Monitoring & organising the work of all of the individual kitchen team members to ensure that the tasks set are delivered to BioCity Nottingham’s high standards
- Maintaining food preparation areas to food hygiene regulations
- Monitoring equipment and raising any maintenance issues
- Developing and training by completing in-house training and other necessary courses
Internal Financial Controls & Regulation Compliance
Manage ‘The Kitchen’ budget to achieve KPI’s in line with BioCity Nottingham’s targets. Effectively manage costs, reduce waste and maximise efficiency. Maintain The Kitchens compliance to regulations, this includes:
- Reviewing budget spreadsheets and monitoring spend against budget
- Budgeting menu costs to attain BioCity’s KPI’s
- Following security procedures, including any loss prevention measures
- Managing all The Kitchen related administration and third party contractors
- Counting cash and reconciling till
- Ensuring compliance of The Kitchen and café area with all relevant food safety regulations
- Manage directly employed staff effectively and according to organisational policies, legislation including inductions, H&S and emergency procedures
Delivery of Service
Champion excellent customer service through all catering outlets. This may include, but is not limited to:
- Identifying training needs, taking an active role in developing The Kitchen team
- Keeping all training records up-to date, tidy and in order
- Ensuring all food, drink and associated products are served to the highest standard
- Identifying customer purchasing trends and managing menus accordingly
- Attending meetings with Operations Manager to appraise performance
- Working with Operations Manager to review, improve and maintain the look, feel, brand and presentation of The Kitchen
- Take a proactive role in developing service offering to help grow The Kitchen income
As the Head Chef, you will lead by example and have a positive, flexible attitude, working to the highest levels of customer service to ensure that BioCity standards are maintained at all times.
From time to time conferencing may need support on events in the evening or at weekends. It is up to the Head Chef to manage their time appropriately to allow them to deliver the job roles described above.