Alfacyte are seeking a laboratory technician to join their busy team, based at BioCity, Scotland.
A practical, technical role which requires up to 3 years relevant work experience in Immunology/Biochemistry and a well-developed working knowledge of human cell tissue culture and the specialist use of the equipment for this purpose. The alternative route to this position is through completion of a modern apprenticeship which is equivalent to an HNC level qualification and incorporates practical work experience.
The post holder will require an understanding of the basic principles of the relevant science in order to operate within this role. The majority of work will be planned a day or two in advance, although occasional elements of the role may require more forward planning, e.g. weeks and months ahead. Post holders will need to be aware of timescales and will work within these to ensure that tasks are completed accurately and on time. Communication will primarily involve the clear transmission of factual information to and from the Company Senior scientist.
Representative Work Activities
- Operate laboratory equipment e.g. balances, centrifuges, spectrophotometers, CO incubators
- General maintenance and servicing of standard laboratory and tissue culture apparatus/equipment
- Under appropriate supervision, conduct experiments according to approved study plans and maintain appropriate records
- Safe disposal of contaminated waste
- Monitor routine stock and supplies and prepare a list of items required to be ordered
- General record keeping and technical data filing
- Check orders with suppliers and replenish stocks as directed
- Dispense and dispatch materials or products according to approved documentation
- Preparation of culture media, stock cultures, routine solutions
- Comply with relevant health and safety procedures affecting self and others.
Knowledge, Skills and Experience
Post holders must have the knowledge, skills and experience normally associated with learning gained through previous relevant work experience, perhaps up to 3 years. Alternatively, completion of a modern apprenticeship, which incorporates appropriate practical experience.
Requires an understanding of the basic principles of the relevant scientific or discipline in order to operate within the role.
Plan and prioritise own defined work activities within established routines or procedures.
Ability to exchange factual information, verbally and in writing.
In the range £17-22,000 depending on experience.