Location: BioCity Nottingham, NG1 1GF
Full-time: Competitive salary, plus participation in BioCity share option scheme
Reporting to: Director, BioCity Nottingham
Direct Reports: Coach and Programme Administrator
BioCity Group is seeking a dynamic, entrepreneurial person to lead its company creation and accelerator programme activities at its HQ in Nottingham. The successful candidate will join the wider BioCity Group team and benefit from the opportunities and rewards arising from being part of this fast growing business.
The BioCity Group is dedicated to channelling entrepreneurship to meet the world’s healthcare needs. We believe much of the innovation needed to tackle the challenges of an expanding and ageing population along with rising costs of care will come from new entrepreneurial companies. So at each of our locations we provide the best environment for these growing and ambitious life science businesses to maximise their chances of success.
BioCity was first established in Nottingham in 2003. It was one of the first incubators offering laboratories alongside business support to early stage companies in the life science sector. Since then, the BioCity Group has grown to include locations in Cheshire, Scotland and Nottingham and has launched MediCity in Nottingham and now Scotland.
BioCity and MediCity now house over 200 companies. There is a 91% survival rate over 12 years of companies at BioCity Nottingham. BioCity Group has created a suite of accelerator programmes and activities to ensure the ongoing creation and success of companies in the sector.
The BioCity Group Innovation Engine is made up of 4 stages of accelerator programme namely; Spark, Develop, Launch and Xcel. It is designed to help drive companies from earliest stage to rapid growth and, where appropriate, final exit. The goal of the programmes is to increase the number and quality of start-ups being created in the sector in the East Midlands.
To manage and deliver the Innovation Engine SPARK events and DEVELOP Programme in conjunction with MediLink East Midlands according to the strategy, programme format and direction set out by the Director, BioCity Nottingham. The Innovation Engine activity is designed to create more, better quality start-ups by connecting ideas and networks that could ‘spark’ innovation and helping early stage projects challenge, understand and ‘develop’ their commercial viability.
- Marketing and promotion of all elements of the programme, working closely with MediLink East Midlands.
- Working closely with large corporates, end user groups, investors, university tech transfer offices and business schools, NHS, Technology Strategy Board, local sector networks to ensure maximum exposure for the programme and co-ordination with other events
- Designing, shaping and delivering the Innovation Engine SPARK events programme
- Recruiting and selecting participants (along with the responsible Director, BioCity Group) for the Innovation Engine DEVELOP programme
- Working on a weekly basis 1-to-1 basis with participants on DEVELOP to help them develop their technology, product, team and business plan and run peer to peer support groups to improve the quality of the start ups
- Managing the Coach and Administrator to help deliver further 1-to-1 support to the participants of Innovation Engine DEVELOP programme
- Build a network of individuals and organisations that will help challenge and guide participants on Innovation Engine DEVELOP programme
- Sourcing and managing all external speakers for the SPARK and DEVELOP programmes
- Overseeing all data collection, monitoring and reporting for ERDF on the financial and key performance indicators of the programme
- The coaching of and instruction in the use of Business Model Canvas, Value Proposition Canvas and Lean Start-up methodologies
- Research into similar tools and developments of these existing methodologies such that the latest thinking is used to enhance the programme where appropriate.
- Provide regular feedback to Director, BioCity Group on the format, delivery and impact of both elements of the programme with any suggested improvements
Skills and Experience
The successful candidate will require:
- A passion for helping entrepreneurs succeed
- Confident and convincing presentation skills
- Strong focus on process and strong project management skills
- Strong academic background
- Understanding, if not direct experience, of starting a business and of the requirements of early stage investors
- Knowledge of business start-up tools such as Value Proposition Canvas, Lean Start-up assumption testing and other ‘evidence based’ entrepreneurship tools
- Experience of using other established business coaching and consultancy tools
- Knowledge of accelerator programmes
- Relevant experience of, ideally, the healthcare, medtech, diagnostics sectors or the biotech and pharmaceutical sectors
The successful candidate should also have:
- Ability to assess early stage business opportunities
- Ability to communicate effectively with entrepreneurs and start up team
- Credibility and communications skills required to engage with a range of partner organisations to involve them in the programmes
- An understanding of and interest in personal coaching and behavioural change
The successful candidate(s) will likely have experience in some, if not all of, the following areas: start-ups, business coaching, management consultancy, early stage investment management and accelerator programmes and in some, if not all of, the following sectors: healthcare, med tech, biotech and/or pharmaceuticals.
Closing Date: 14 March 2016
Please submit applications including a CV to: email@example.com
Please include details of current salary/ salary expectations and notice period.
Please include "Innovation Engine DEVELOP Programme Lead Coach Application" in email subject line.