BioCity is seeking to appoint a consultant on a part-time basis of approx. 2 days per week (with the possibility to increase over time) to deliver life science company creation and support activities at BioCity Scotland. This work is part funded by a grant from the European Regional Development Fund and would be based at BioCity Scotland, near Glasgow.
The successful candidate will responsible for providing business advice to start-up/spin out companies and early stage SME’s in the Life Science/Healthscience /Medical Technology market space located at the BioCity Scotland Newhouse site. He/she will help young companies develop and improve their business ideas through direct one to one mentorship, including critical analysis and development of their business plans, investor pitches and grant applications. They will be responsible for the continued development and delivery of the BioCity Scotland “accelerator” and “bootcamp” programs and work across the BioCity group to ensure consistency and quality of these signature events.
Essential Job Functions
- Deliver accelerator and bootcamp events
- Support business creation at BioCity Scotland by identifying potential business opportunities from the accelerator programs
- Facilitate the development of business strategy for BioCity Scotland tenants as required
- Mentor BioCity Scotland tenants on key aspects of successful business growth
- Provide critical input on business plans including financial projections
- Provide critical input on early stage funding including grant applications and investor readiness.
- Engage with the wider Life Sciences/Healthscience/Medical Technology community to maintain and build essential contacts to help connect tenants to key individuals and organizations including the angel networks and broader investment community
- Work across the BioCity group to continually improve the accelerator and bootcamp programs
- Successful experience in establishing and growing small companies in the Life Science/Healthscience/Medical Technology sectors
- Successfully raised funding and had grants awarded for SME
- In depth knowledge of funding landscape for Life Science/Healthscience/Medical Technology SME’s
- Demonstrable ability to analyse and develop business plans, financial projections and investor pitches.
- Minimum 15 years’ experience in the Life Science/Healthscience/Medical Technology markets
- Track record of successful consulting with SME’s and start-ups
- Seasoned manager with in depth knowledge of all aspects of business including sales, commercial, operations, manufacturing and services,
- MBA or equivalent level with demonstrable experience required
- Broadly networked within Scottish Life Science/Healthscience/Medical Technology community
- Excellent communication skills
- Previous mentoring skills preferred
- Academic life science background, preferably to PhD level, but not essential
The position offers a daily consulting rate of up to £500 contingent on relevant experience
Applicants for the role should submit a CV along with a short introductory letter explaining suitability for the role and availability by COP 6 December 2013.
Further information may be obtained by contacting Fraser Black, Managing Director, BioCity Scotland email@example.com.