Location: BioCity Scotland campus, Newhouse, Scotland
Full time, permanent.
Salary: To be discussed - plus participation in BioCity Group employee share option scheme
The BioCity Group is seeking a dynamic and ambitious leader to take responsibility for and drive the development of its new medical technology incubator, MediCity Scotland, near Glasgow. The successful candidate will join the wider BioCity Group team and benefit from the opportunities and rewards arising from being part of this fast growing business.
The BioCity Group is dedicated to channelling entrepreneurship to meet the world’s healthcare needs. We believe much of the innovation needed to tackle the challenges of an expanding and ageing population along with rising costs of care will come from new entrepreneurial companies. So at each of our locations we provide the best environment for these growing and ambitious life science businesses to maximise their chances of success.
From fostering an entrepreneurial culture to the very practical discipline of running state of the art laboratories, every effort at a BioCity Group location is focussed on helping companies to be more successful.
BioCity was first established in Nottingham in 2003. It was one of the first incubators offering laboratories alongside business support to early stage companies in the life science sector. Since then, the BioCity Group has grown to include locations in Cheshire, Scotland and Nottingham and has launched MediCity in Nottingham and now Scotland.
Whilst in the early years the facilities at BioCity led to a focus on companies in drug discovery and delivery, therapeutics and medical devices, the launch of MediCity widens the type of companies to also include, alongside med tech, the areas of digital health, well-being and beauty.
Common across both brands and all locations are the key components, of appropriate facilities, pay-as-you-go services, business programmes, access to finance and integration with the wider innovation community. These core components are all carefully designed to provide the right help at the right time.
With the support of Walgreens Boots Alliance, our partner in MediCity Nottingham, our goal is to grow MediCity to become the global innovation leader for medical technology and related businesses with the recognition of the Newhouse facility as the premier hub in Scotland.
MediCity has approximately 12,000 sq ft of newly refurbished space in which to house businesses. These will range from established companies seeking to be part of the med- tech and digital health ecosystem created at MediCity, to very early stage businesses or pre-start-ups using hot desks and meeting rooms. The facility includes workshops/labs, offices, meeting rooms and individual workstations.
The first MediCity facility, MedCity Nottingham, opened in early 2014 and already has more than 30 companies within it’s community. MediCity Nottingham is based within the former Boots Healthcare International facility, at the heart of the Walgreens Boots Alliance campus, a new Enterprise Zone in Nottingham.
This is a highly varied and demanding role. Your job will be to build the MediCity Scotland incubator into Scotland’s leading centre for the development of healthcare and medical technology companies, supporting the positioning of MediCity as a world-class brand within it’s field.
You will have broad scope to determine how to do this while benefiting from the experience and support infrastructure of the BioCity Group.
Skills and Experience
General Management & Leadership
- Experience in running an incubator facility within the healthcare / life sciences field
- Proven ability to deliver high levels of customer satisfaction through a customer service environment background
- Strong leadership skills combined with an ability to work effectively in a matrix environment
- Hunger for securing sustainable business.
Business Support and Networking
- Possesses strong and comprehensive networks and relationships to facilitate company recruitment
- Proven ability to identify and securing clients (including tenants and virtual tenants), ideally within medical devices and digital health
- Supporting complementary teams, for example Business Acceleration and Marketing
- Ability to champion the needs of customers to internal and external stakeholders
- Experience in establishing relevant marketing intelligence and knowledge systems (MKIS) and utilising them effectively in business development and customer support.
- Establishing effective systems to deal with enquiries and process applications
- Marketing plan development and implementation.
- Maintaining high-tech facilities to a world-class standard
- Ability to rapidly resolve and monitor issues and complaints
- Implementation and management of documentation, including grant submissions.
- Ability to prepare and manage annual forecasts and budgets, including monthly reporting.
- Purchase invoice, debtor monitoring and cash collection experience
- Establishing systems to record and monitor grant-related outputs, including supporting documentation
The ideal candidate will be focussed on delivery and outcomes. A “completer/finisher” with good attention to detail and strong focus on customer service. You may have worked as an incubator manager elsewhere or alternatively in management of another customer focussed, service-led environment.
You will have been in a small, business environment, ideally in medical technology, diagnostics and healthcare and understand the issues and challenges facing such companies. Experience in larger corporate organisations would be considered an advantage but is not essential. You will have the ability to remain calm in dynamic situations and remain focussed on the task in hand.