Reporting to: Group Head of Lab Services
Location: The role will be based in BioCity Group Ltd, Pennyfoot Street, Nottingham.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Running and maintaining NMR services
- Managing other shared access labs e.g. utility lab, cryostorage lab and BioTel lab
- Supporting promotion of services
- Maintenance of a Bruker Advance III 400 NMR spectrometer
- weekly Nitrogen refill of the magnet
- Lineshape and sensitivity tests
- Troubleshooting of NMR spectrometer and TopSpin 3.2 software
- NMR training to new users
- NMR analysis
- Sample preparation
- Routine NMR experiments
- Email NMR results to customers
- Process and interpret NMR spectra (if requested)
- NMR consultancy (if requested)
- Lab management
- Order of consumables
- Laboratory waste disposal
- Dealing with suppliers
- Helping to increase Lab Services revenue
- Produce marketing and promotional material for the NMR and other analytical services
- Maintain and update knowledge of all aspects of the facilities, keeping abreast of new development, techniques and instrumentation
- Knowledge of HPLC and LC/MS for method development and purity checks would be advantageous.
Master’s degree or Ph.D degree in Biological Sciences, Analytical Chemistry, Bio analytical Chemistry or a related science.
A minimum of one year experience running NMR and other analytical instrumentation
- Creativity and the ability to use initiative
- Good oral, written and communication skills.
- Motivation to investigate solutions for complex problems
- Ability to work independently
- Knowledge of specialized analysis software for NMR (IconNMR and Topspin)
- Use of basic computer programs (e.g. MS office)
- Entrepreneurial and financial abilities would be advantageous
Annual leave: 25 + bank holidays
Hours of work: 37.5 hours (8.30 am to 5pm with 1 hour break) Mon to Fri
BioCity specialises in the creation and development of life science businesses. It provides homes and access to high-end equipment, shared services, training, business support and access to investment for new and growing bioscience businesses.
Nearly 200 companies are based in a BioCity business incubator, making the BioCity network one of the largest concentrations of life science businesses in the UK. The 91% survival rate of companies at BioCity in Nottingham tangibly demonstrates one of the benefits to a company of being located within the BioCity network.
In 2012, BioCity established BioCity Scotland, near Glasgow and in 2013 BioHub at Alderley Park and later MediCity on the Boots campus in Nottingham.
BioCity has a Lab Services department that offers flexible, cost effective, secure open access high end analytical services to its tenants and external companies.
Closing date for Application: 1st October
Date for Interview: TBC
If you feel you have the skills and knowledge to succeed in this stimulating role apply today.
Send your CV, covering letter including details of your experience, salary and current notice period to: email@example.com